I hope this finds you all managing to stay well and keep safe during the current crisis.
Hopefully you will all have received the recent update email from Sabina Voysey, the Director General of the Camping and Caravanning Club. The Scottish Region Executive Committee would like to take this opportunity to give you a short update on what we have been doing since the start of the Coronavirus crisis.
As we were unable to hold the Scottish Region AGM, we received guidance from Club HQ asking the present committee to remain in position until such times as the AGM could be rescheduled. All on Region Council have agreed to remain in their current roles. DA’s who have not held their AGM’s were given similar advice. So far, we have not held any full Region Council meetings although we have been advised that we can hold virtual meetings in accordance with our previously planned schedule. Hopefully we will be able to hold the Region Council meeting scheduled for September as a virtual meeting.
In the meantime the Region Executive Committee has held two virtual meetings using Zoom meeting software. The first of these was to organise the online Cook Off which was held at the beginning of May in place of the Cadac Cooking Competition which is normally held at the Region Meet. We held our second meeting on 24th May, primarily to discuss plans for the Annual Dinner Dance in January 2021 and also plans for a fundraising initiative to support Scottish Region Youth – look out on social media for more information about this. We also took the opportunity to discuss the update email from the Director General and the advice DA and Region committees received last week that all Meets and THS’s due to start in July have been cancelled.
With regard to the Dinner Dance, our intention is to hold it at The Dalmahoy Hotel, near Kirkliston on Saturday 30th January 2021. This, of course, will be subject to improvements in the Coronavirus situation to the extent that government guidance allows us to socialise together safely. That said, it is likely that well before January 2021 we will have to make a final decision on whether or not to go ahead with the dance. To help us with making that decision we intend to carry out a short survey to gauge an indication of the number of people who would like to go to the dance. Look out on social media for details on how to complete the survey or follow this link to complete it:
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/GLDBKXT Please note: Survey will close on Friday 12th June at midnight.
If the Region Meet had gone ahead our youth members would have used the opportunity to raise funds to help pay for the activities and events which they participate in throughout the year. The breakfast café at the Region meet goes a long way to helping them raise the funds which they need. As they missed out on that opportunity this year, the next time you cook yourself a bacon roll or whatever takes your fancy, if you can, how about helping the youth by donating a £1 towards their funds. I’m sure donations larger than a £1 will be gratefully accepted if you are feeling flush!!! They have set themselves a target of £500 and are working on other ideas to raise funds. Here is a link to a Just Giving page where you can safely make your donation:
You will see in the Director General’s email that the Club is working behind the scenes to plan for reopening Club sites. DA and Region committees have been advised by the Club that reopening sites may start early in July but will be subject to government guidelines and it being safe to do so. As noted above all Meets and THS’s due to start in July have been cancelled. Restarting these will also be subject to government guidelines and it being safe to do so for stewards, campers and others who may be affected by meets or THS’s, for example, landowners. At the moment we do not know what requirements may have to be put in place to enable Meets and THS’s to recommence. However, the emphasis of any measures we have to put in place must be to ensure the health and safety of all involved. Establishing what we need to do will require us all to be patient and follow the advice from Club HQ, the National and Devolved Governments.
You may also be aware that the Club had hoped to replace the NFOL with a ~Club Festival~ in 2021. For a number of reasons, primarily due to the coronavirus situation, the decision has been taken that it would not be appropriate, or achievable, to launch this new event in 2021.
If you have any questions about the information in this update or would like to give us some feedback please reply to Mrs Janette Sandbach, Scottish Region Secretary. We would also like to hear if you have any suggestions for events or activities which we can organise whilst we are all at home and unable to camp. Please respond to Janette by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will all be aware that the coronavirus situation is constantly changing albeit very slowly. Thankfully the changes we are seeing are evidence that the situation is improving. There is no doubt that it will take a long time for the country to get to a ~new~ normal when we will all be able to resume our passion for camping. Meantime I thank you for your patience as we negotiate the challenges we face.
Stay well and keep safe.
Bill Dewar, Scottish Region Chairman